What is interventional cardiology?
Interventional cardiology uses nonsurgical, catheter-based procedures to treat conditions such as:
- Congenital heart disease
- Heart valve abnormalities
- Clogged or weak blood vessels and restricted arteries
What to expect when visiting an interventional cardiologist:
- A medical history evaluation and physical exam to assess blood pressure, heart health, blood vessel function and lung health
- Imaging and lab tests
- Condition diagnosis and treatment plan
When should you see an interventional cardiologist?
Your primary care physician can address general heart health problems and illnesses like excessive blood pressure and high cholesterol, which raise your risk for heart disease. But you might need to see an interventional cardiologist if you experience a significant heart or blood vessel problem.
Consult an interventional cardiologist as soon as possible if you:
- Have received EKG testing variations that suggest a blockage in your coronary artery
- Had a heart attack and experienced unstable angina or heart valve dysfunction
- Require heart procedures, including angioplasty, cardiac catheterisation, or heart valve repair
Conditions treated by interventional cardiologists:
- Angina – Narrowed arteries from coronary heart disease that cause chest pain
- Heart attack – When blood clots stop the circulation of oxygen-rich blood to the heart
- Heart failure – Your heart isn’t strong enough to pump enough blood throughout your body
- ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) – A severe heart attack that happens when one of your heart arteries is blocked
- Arrhythmia – Abnormal heart rhythm (your heart beats too slow, too fast, or irregularly)
- Myocarditis – Heart inflammation
- Cardiomyopathy – An enlarged or weakened heart muscle
- Congenital heart defects – Heart issues and defects occurring at birth
At Euracare, we ensure that you receive world-class medical treatment. Our interventional cardiology team develops your care plan utilising a multidisciplinary approach best suited to your individual needs.
If you’re suffering from a heart condition or are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, book an appointment with our cardiology experts.
Nigeria: +234 700 3872 2273
Ghana: +233 500 809 024